UKOM has released the latest in its series of quarterly Digital Market Overview reports.
Over 50 million users accessed the internet via their desktop, smartphone and tablet devices in March 2017.
- After peaking at 50% in December, smartphone’s share goes back to pre-Xmas levels and now stands at 48% of all online minutes.
- Nearly 4 million adults don’t use a PC and are now mobile only. 9% of the UK population are mobile only but this is higher among younger audiences and parents.
- Compared to December 2016, predictably the retail category declined most in terms of unique visitors (-14%). Toys, Jewellery and Fragrance retailers saw the biggest % declines. Sites selling ecards also saw a 68% drop in visitors.
- Major categories which witnessed big time online gains in March compared to December 2016 included Property (+67%), Education (63%) and Career services (+63%) with Rightmove, Zoopla and Indeed performing well. Linkedin also experienced an 87% increase in time online as many people started the New Year looking to change their work and living arrangements.
- Property (+17%) and Career (+23%) sites were also in the top 5 for unique visitor growth, but the Automotive sector showed the biggest uplift with a 25% increase in audience between December and March 2017.
- Platform’s share of time online continues to differ dramatically by content & category – 92% of time spent on Automotive Manufacturer sites is spent on a PC/laptop whereas for job search sites 94% of time is spent on smartphones.
Read more or download the whole UKOM Digital Market Overview - March 2017 .pdf here.
To find out more about UKOM Insights, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.